|Following the recent introduction by the Department of Rural and Community Development, in conjunction with the Department of Transport, of a pilot initiative to develop a scheme for the provision of high quality up-cycled bicycles and e-bikes, the successful applicants for the initiative have now been chosen.
The pilot fund will be administered by Pobal on behalf of the Department of Rural and Community Development as part of its Community Services Programme, with funding of up to €3m provided by the Department of Transport over a 3-year period.
The pilot will support a number of social enterprises in 2021 and will, depending on the level of success of the pilot, seek to bring additional organisations into the initiative in 2022.
Fourteen applications were received and the five applicants approved for support under this pilot initiative are:
- The Rediscovery Centre & Rothar Velo in Dublin 9.
- Frontline Bikes/ Frontline Make Change in Dublin 8.
- Treo Port Lairge CLG (aka Renew Enterprises) in Waterford.
- The Life Cycle Consortium in Galway – Westside Resource Centre and An Mheitheal Rothar.
- Sign & Cycle in Cork – Cork Community Cycles & Deaf Enterprises.